[infowar.de] WT 6.10.01: Taliban Warns Newsmen On 'Spying' Risks

Washington Times

October 6, 2001
Taliban Warns Newsmen On 'Spying' Risks

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - The Taliban warned yesterday that hundreds of foreign journalists in opposition-controlled Afghanistan risked being viewed as spies by the Islamic militia.

Taliban's intelligence chief Qari Ahmedullah told the Afghan Islamic Press that the estimated 300 foreign reporters currently in northern Afghanistan included many who were simply "posing" as journalists.

"We cannot believe all of them are journalists," Mr. Ahmedullah said. "We are sure some of them are spies or military personnel from America and Britain."