[infowar.de] Bush-Rede zu Militär-Transformation

Liebe Liste,

wieder mal eine Citadel-Rede von Bush für die Zitatensammler. Ist
einiges zu unseren Themen dabei. Beispiele:
"These past two months have shown that innovative doctrine
and high-tech weaponry can shape and then dominate an
unconventional conflict," Bush said. (...)
Service members are rewriting the rules of war with new
technologies, he continued. "Our commanders are gaining a
real-time picture of the entire battlefield, and are able
to get targeting information from sensor to shooter almost
instantly," he said.

Die Rede selber gibt es hier:
President Speaks on War Effort to Citadel Cadets:
Remarks by the President at the Citadel, Charleston,
S.C., Dec. 11, 2001
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/12/20011211-6.html

Grüße, Ralf

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Dec2001/n12112001_200112115.html

Bush Calls for Military Transformation

By Jim Garamone
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Dec. 11, 2001 -- President Bush, speaking today
at the Citadel in Charleston, S.C., revealed plans to
transform the armed forces to confront the threats of the
21st century.

"We have to think differently," Bush said. "The enemy who
appeared on Sept. 11 seeks to avoid our strengths and
constantly searches for our weaknesses. So America is
required once again to change the way our military thinks
and fights."

He said enemies worldwide got a chance to see the new
American military on Oct. 7. That military "cannot and will
not be evaded," he said.

"The great threat to civilization is that a few evil men
will multiply their murders and gain the means to kill on a
scale equal to their hatred," Bush said. "We know they have
this mad intent, and we're determined to stop them."

He said the United States will meet the threats posed by
terrorists by every means. "We will discover and destroy
'sleeper' cells," he said. "We will track terrorists'
movements, trace their communications, disrupt their
funding and take their network apart piece by piece."

He said rogue states are the most likely sources of
chemical, biological and nuclear weapons for terrorists. He
said the civilized world cannot condone states that support
or harbor terrorists. "Those states that violate this
principle will be regarded as hostile regimes," Bush said.
"They have been warned, they are being watched, and they
will be held to account."

He said the new world has new priorities. The first is to
speed the transformation of the U.S. military. Actions in
Afghanistan are pointing the way, he said.

"These past two months have shown that innovative doctrine
and high-tech weaponry can shape and then dominate an
unconventional conflict," Bush said.

Service members are rewriting the rules of war with new
technologies, he continued. "Our commanders are gaining a
real-time picture of the entire battlefield, and are able
to get targeting information from sensor to shooter almost
instantly," he said. "Our intelligence professionals and
special forces have cooperated in battle with friendly
Afghan forces. These fighters know the terrain, know the
Taliban and know the local culture.

"And our special forces have the technology to call in
precision air strikes, along with the flexibility to direct
those strikes from horseback in the first cavalry charge of
the 21st century."

Bush said the Predator unmanned aerial vehicle is showing
its worth in the campaign. He said the new armed version
can circle and watch for enemy activity and then strike
targets as they present themselves.

"Before the war, the Predator had skeptics because it did
not fit the old ways," he said. "Now it is clear the
military does not have enough unmanned vehicles."

UAVs will take on greater importance on land, air and sea,
Bush said, as will precision munitions.

Even before Sept. 11, Bush and Defense Secretary Donald
Rumsfeld urged transforming the military.

"What's different today is this sense of urgency: The need
to build this future force while fighting this present
war," Bush said. "It's like overhauling a car engine while
you're going at 80 miles an hour. Yet we have no other
choice. Our military has a new and essential mission. For
states that support terror, it's not enough that the
consequences are costly, they must be devastating."

The bedrock of the future force is good people, Bush said.
The military must offer good pay and good living
conditions, he noted.

"Our military culture must reward new thinking, innovation
and experimentation," he said. "Congress must give defense
leaders the freedom to innovate instead of micromanaging
the Defense Department. Every service and every
constituency of the military must be willing to sacrifice
some of their own pet projects. Our war on terror cannot be
used to justify obsolete bases, obsolete programs or
obsolete weapons systems.

"Every dollar of defense spending must meet a single test:
It must help us build the decisive power we will need to
win the wars of the future."