[infowar.de] CNN: Rumsfeld: Cyberwar among possible threats

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/02/04/military.preparation.idg/index.html

Rumsfeld: Cyberwar among possible threats

By Martyn Williams

(IDG) -- The vulnerability of U.S. information networks and a belief that a future attack
against the U.S. may be launched in cyberspace is high in the mind of U.S. Secretary
of Defense Donald Rumsfeld as he plots to change the U.S. armed forces so they
can better defend against unconventional threats.

"Our challenge in this new century is a different one," Rumsfeld told an audience at
the National Defense University in Washington, D.C., on Thursday, according to a
transcript. "It's really to defend our nation against the unknown, the uncertain and,
what we have to understand, will be the unexpected. That may seem on the face of it
an impossible task but it is not."

"There is a great deal we can learn from this first war of the 21st century, but we
cannot and must not make the mistake of assuming that terrorism is the only threat.
The next threat we face may indeed be from terrorists, but it could also be cyber-war,
a traditional state-on-state conflict or something entirely different," said Rumsfeld.

With this as a background, Rumsfeld said he has six goals for transforming U.S.
defense strategy including "to protect our info networks from attack," and "to use info
technology to link up different kinds of U.S. forces so they can, in fact, act jointly."

His speech came just over four months after the attacks on the World Trade Center
and the Pentagon -- attacks that served to highlight the vulnerability of key
telecommunications and information networks.

In the wake of the attacks, some telecommunication networks in the New York City
area were paralyzed after several key exchanges were taken offline, either because
of damage to cables, the buildings they are housed in or a loss of power. Beyond
New York, where telephone calls went unconnected and bank ATM machines were
offline, the effects spread around the world as trading on the New York Stock
Exchange and Nasdaq markets was suspended and Internet traffic routed through
New York was slowed.

The growing importance of infrastructure systems, such as telecommunication and
non-IT sectors like banking and finance, and the chaos feared if the systems were
attacked led to the creation of the National Infrastructure Protection Center in
February 1998. Located at the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation's headquarters in
Washington, the NIPC brings together representatives of national, state and local
agencies and the private sector to work on protecting key sectors.

To date, the NIPC has spent much time on IT issues, tracking large scale outbreaks
of computer viruses, such as the "Code Red" worm that hit in early September last
year and hacking cases, such as denial of service attacks against major Web sites.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/02/04/military.preparation.idg/index.html

--
Ruhr-University Bochum
European Institute for IT-Security (EURUBITS)

Tel +49 (0)234 - 32 - 261 82
Fax +49 (0)234 - 32 -143 89
Mob +49 (0)175 - 520 605 9

PGP-Key http://www.eurubits.de/keys