[infowar.de] Howard Schmidt empfiehlt Public-Private Partnerships bei Cyber-Sicherheit

Die Message ist ja eigentlich schon steinalt und bildet einen der
Kernpunkte von Clinton's National Plan for Information Systems
Protection vom Januar 2000 - folgendes daher nur dokumentarisch.
RB

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0302/031202td2.htm

Daily Briefing

 March 12, 2002

 Public-private partnerships called key to cybersecurity

 By Molly M. Peterson, National Journal's Technology Daily

 Voluntary partnerships between government agencies and the private
sector are crucial to protecting the nation's critical infrastructures
from increasingly sophisticated forms of cyber warfare, information
security experts from the public, private and academic sectors said
Tuesday.

 "We need you, but we don't own you, so we have to have this partnership
to make it work," Howard Schmidt, vice chairman of President Bush's
Critical Infrastructure Protection Board, told industry representatives
during a Washington conference organized by the Strategic Research
Institute.

 Schmidt, who formerly served as chief security officer for Microsoft,
noted that about 90 percent of the nation's critical information
infrastructure is owned and operated by the private sector. Schmidt said
making those networks "resistant to degradation, and resilient when
attacked" requires information sharing, coordinated research and other
cooperative efforts between the public and private sectors.

"It's got to be voluntary because if we don't work in a spirit of
cooperation and trust, we are shooting ourselves in the foot at the
outset," Schmidt said, noting that President Bush has charged the
Critical Infrastructure Protection Board with coordinating the
cybersecurity capabilities of government, industry and the academic
sector.

 Public and private sector officials involved in those coordination
efforts must realize that keeping pace with cyberterrorist threats is
likely to be increasingly difficult, according to Robert Gerber, chief
of analysis and warning at the FBI's National Infrastructure Protection
Center.

 "The threat out there has never been greater," Gerber said, noting that
"the nature of attacks will continue to deepen and become more intense"
because of rapidly evolving new technologies.

 The inherently open nature of the Internet is another reason for that
increasing threat, according to Jacques Gansler, chairman of the
University of Maryland's Center for Public Policy and Private
Enterprise. "The Internet was not developed to be a secure system and
that is kind of why we are playing catch-up," Gansler said.

 Gansler, who formerly served as the Defense Department's undersecretary
for acquisition, technology and logistics, added that if the al Qaeda
network had combined the attacks on the World Trade Center and the
Pentagon with simultaneous cyberattacks on the nation's critical
infrastructures, the events of Sept. 11 "could have been much more
destructive."

 Schmidt said the White House's Critical Infrastructure Protection Board
is helping state and local agencies to protect their critical systems to
ensure that their response capabilities would not be crippled during a
terrorist attack.

 "We must make sure state and local governments have the same
[cybersecurity] capabilities as a multibillion dollar federal agency,"
Schmidt said. "It takes a lot of coordination to do that."

 Schmidt added that the board must also help the federal government "get
its house in order."

 "We have to make sure our systems are secure while helping the private
sector do their part as well," Schmidt said.