[infowar.de] US Homeland Security Strategie soll im Juni fertig sein

Da wird sicher auch etwas zu Cyberterrorismus / CIP drin stehen.
RB

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0402/041102gsn1.htm

Daily Briefing

April 11, 2002

Homeland security office to unveil national strategy in June

By Greg Seigle, Global Security Newswire

The Office of Homeland Security is scheduled to present a national
strategy on preparing the United States for terrorist attacks to
President Bush in June, a Bush administration official said Wednesday.

If approved by Bush, the strategy would provide a roadmap for the
multitude of federal, state and local agencies involved in homeland
defense, many of which have been competing against each other for the
same roles and resources, the official said during a wide-ranging speech
sponsored by the Monterey Institute of International Studies.

Although the speech was off the record, an Office of Homeland Security
spokeswoman gave Global Security Newswire permission to report the
official's remarks.

"It tries to be a national strategy, not just a federal strategy. We try
to speak not just for the federal executive branch but for everyone in
America," the official said.

"We need to distribute it across many different actors," he said,
referring to the plethora of "different, disconnected, variously located
and sized" federal, state and local organizations that participate in
homeland security.

"It will at least lay out a plan, a sort of format that people can see,
hopefully agree to, accept and then use to organize their own
activities."

Any strategy put forth by Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge will not
have executive power because Ridge does not hold a Cabinet position, but
if Bush backs the plan, as analysts expect, it will likely carry a lot
of influence.

Bush administration officials have proposed spending $38 billion on
homeland security in fiscal 2003, including $6 billion for bioterrorism,
$2 billion for border security and $3.5 billion for first responders.

First responders, including International Association of Firefighters
officials scheduled to testify before the Senate Appropriations
Committee Thursday, have been clamoring for the proposed funds--and
demanding some sort of national guidance on how to best prepare for
terrorist and weapons of mass destruction attacks.

Before the fiscal 2003 funds are distributed, Office of Homeland
Security officials want to make sure there is a national strategy in
place that tries to avoid the current overlaps, oversights or
redundancies among the various federal, state and local players, the
official said.

"Right now what we're seeing is confusion about who's supposed to do
what," the official said.

"We have an argument between the federal government and the states and
the local governments on who should pay for different and new activities
under homeland security, and of course everyone wants the other guy to
pay."

The competition, the official said, includes not only struggles between
different agencies within the "federal family" but also among various
offices within agencies.

In Congress there are varied committees that "oversee the exact same
thing," and there are competitions within the state, municipal and
county governments across the country, the official said.

White House officials, he said, "have an argument with the private
sector about who's supposed to kick in and incur this cost. Should it be
borne by the general revenue or should it be borne by a customer base
for a product?

"I've been astonished at how much of my time is spent on resource
issues--who's going to pay what?" the official added. "After about a
month or two, post-Sept. 11, all of a sudden these sort of green
eyeshades came out and took over the debate."