[infowar.de] Strukturwandel der US Armee

April 10, 2002

Pentagon balances anti-terrorism efforts, transformation plans
By Molly M. Peterson, National Journal News Service

The Defense Department's transformation programs were scrutinized on
Capitol Hill on Tuesday, as lawmakers sought ways to balance budgetary
constraints with the military's need to win the war on terror while also
moving from the industrial age to the information age. "There's a limited
amount of resources we can devote, even in this time of great danger to the
country," Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., told Pentagon officials during a Senate
Armed Services Committee hearing. "Frankly, the appetite of the Department
of Defense for systems and building things is rather substantial."
Republican Sen. Jim Bunning of Kentucky shared some of Reed's concerns,
arguing that President Bush's $379 billion fiscal 2003 Defense budget
proposal is bogged down in antiquated "legacy" systems that have been in
development for up to 10 years. "You are spending a lot of money for old
weapons systems that don't seem to work very well," Bunning said, noting
that the budget calls for nearly $1.5 billion to continue developing the
controversial MV-22 Osprey helicopter, which has been plagued with problems
during the past 10 years. "If we're going to upgrade the Defense Department
in an effective manner, we have to have very forward thinking, not in
10-year periods but in one- or two- or three-year periods." Deputy Defense
Secretary Paul Wolfowitz called the Osprey a "revolutionary" and
"transformational" system but acknowledged that military officials are
still studying its reliability. But Wolfowitz said Defense had devoted a
significant chunk of its fiscal 2003 budget to transformation efforts.
"There's a lot of new investment here," he said, noting that the budget
would earmark $21 billion for transformation-related procurement and
research programs. It also calls for $25 billion to support existing
Defense programs that "enable transformation or extend current
capabilities, such as precision-guided munitions." "Over the next five
years, we plan to invest more than $136 billion in transformational
technologies and systems," Wolfowitz said. "Of this, $76 billion represents
new investments to accelerate or start new transformation programs." Sen.
John Warner of Virginia, the panel's ranking Republican, said many specific
transformation programs would have a better chance of withstanding
congressional scrutiny if they were delineated more clearly in the budget
request. "There ought to be a red flag put on transformation programs,"
Warner said, noting that transformation efforts resemble a chain that is
only as strong as its weakest link. "If you let one or two pieces of it
lapse and let the others go forward, I think [transformation] will be less
effective." Retired Vice Adm. Arthur Cebrowski, the Pentagon's director of
force transformation, said strong links between lawmakers and Defense
officials are crucial to the military's ability to move into the
information age. "We can do this," Cebrowski said. "It's a matter of
courage and commitment to do it, and we need to work as a team."

http://nationaljournal.com/about/njns/