[infowar.de] WP 23.05.02 A Chance To Be All That You Can Be -- In A Virtual Army]

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --

Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:05:38 +0200
From: Olivier Minkwitz <minkwitz -!
- hsfk -
 de>
To: "Infowar.de" <infowar -
 de -!
- infopeace -
 de>
CC: Christian Buettner <Buettner -
 L29 -
 HSFK-DE -!
- hsfk -
 de>
Subject: WP 23.05.02 A Chance To Be All That You Can Be -- In A Virtual Army

--------------10E1A154003163DBA143B263

"Be all that you can be" , war der Werbespruch der US Rekrutierungsbüros

> Although the Army has used computer simulations for several years to train its troops, this represents the service's first foray into the civilian gaming world.

Das stimmt aber auch nur für die Army, ich erinnere an die Doom-Version
der US Marines.

Grüsse Olivier <- hat gestern den Trailer für Doom III gesehen!

Washington Post
May 23, 2002
Pg. 31

A Chance To Be All That You Can Be -- In A Virtual Army

Game Lets Civilians Play Soldier

By Jeff Adler, Special to The Washington Post

LOS ANGELES, May 22 -- With his eyes locked on the screen, Sgt. Kemar
Ebanks trained his M-16 assault rifle across a three-dimensional desert
landscape, stalking an enemy hiding somewhere in this virtual world.

"Kids will love this," Ebanks said, never averting his gaze. "It gives
them a real view of what we do."

At least, that is what the U.S. Army is banking on with this latest
pitch to tech-savvy teens: Uncle Sam wants you -- to play his video
games.

At the Electronic Entertainment Expo here today, the service unveiled
"America's Army," a game designed for the personal computer that allows
civilians to step into a soldier's boots and experience everything from
training to combat. Hoping to launch a successful attack on the
electronic gaming industry, the Army will release its game as a free
download on the Internet this July.

Although the Army has used computer simulations for several years to
train its troops, this represents the service's first foray into the
civilian gaming world.

The Army is on track to recruit its goal of 79,500 soldiers this year,
but fewer people have relatives in the military today, making it harder
for teenagers to learn about careers in the armed forces. Maj. Gen.
Michael Rochelle, head of the Army's Recruiting Command at Fort Knox,
Ky., hopes the new game will change that.

"It's part of the Army's overall communication strategy to reach men and
women where they are today, which is on the Internet and in video game
arcades," he said. "Young men and women simply do not have, in both
classrooms, at home, in church and elsewhere, individuals who can, in a
contemporary manner, answer their questions" about the military.

The Army's game faces stiff competition in the $6 billion electronic
gaming industry, where it will go head-to-head with dozens of similar
computer titles, not to mention popular games for Microsoft's X-Box,
Nintendo's Game Cube and Sony's Play Station 2.

The Army seemed outmatched at this convention, where many of the 400
exhibitors use bikini-clad models to entice critics to demo their
products. But at the Army's booth, where real soldiers stood by in
fatigues and camouflage face paint, the military's game was impressing
passersby.

"There's a lot of first-person shooters, and a lot of them have military
themes," said self-professed "gamer" Tim Schule, 25. "But from what I'm
seeing here, it's got incredible realism."

Indeed, the game's designers argue that its authenticity will separate
it from the pack. With special access to Army field units, the animators
studied training missions, fired weapons and watched paratrooper
airdrops.

"America's Army," which cost $6.3 million to produce, is actually two
games in one. In "Soldiers," players guide characters up the Army's
career ladder by controlling such intangibles as loyalty, honor and
selfless service.

"What we tried to do is show how values function to make it more
concrete for young people," said John Hiles of the MOVES Institute's
Naval Postgraduate School, which developed the game.

"Operations" allows players to look out on the battlefield through the
eyes of a soldier. It is designed for the Internet, with people logging
on to join squads and battle other teams.

The game also comes with a built-in safeguard to discourage random
aggression: If a player tries to sabotage a mission by indiscriminately
killing his own troops, he will be bounced from the battlefield into a
cyber-cell.

But the game's content could raise some concerns. Eugene Provenzo, a
University of Miami professor who has written about the social content
of video games, said youngsters can lose a sense of reality through
romanticized views of violence.

"I think the danger of simulations is there is a point where we start
believing that the simulation is real," Provenzo said.

But Rochelle defends the Army's game as a wholesome product. "It is not
gratuitous violence," he said. "What it promotes are the values that the
Army is all about."

--
Dipl. Pol.
- hsfk -

--------------10E1A154003163DBA143B263

"Be all that you can be" , war der Werbespruch der US Rekrutierungsb&uuml;ros
<pre>Although the Army has used computer simulations for several years to train its troops, this represents the service's first foray into the civilian gaming world.</pre>

Doom-Version der US Marines.
gesehen!
[...]
pgpKey:0xAD48A592