[infowar.de] US-Congress veröffentlicht "Cybersecurity"-Report

Politech.
RB

-------- Original Message --------
Betreff: FC: Congress publishes father-knows-best "cybersecurity" report
Datum: Thu, 30 May 2002 04:22:27 -0400
Von: Declan McCullagh <declan -!
- well -
 com>
Rückantwort: declan -!
- well -
 com
An: politech -!
- politechbot -
 com

Congress' Joint Economic Committee published a report this afternoon on
"cyber-security:
http://www.house.gov/jec/security.pdf

Skip the introduction; it's bland and repetitive. ("Interdependencies
require
us to think differently about security!")

The essays themselves are more interesting: Not for what they say, but
for
how they say it. The report is an excellent example of the type of
Father-knows-best thinking Washingtonians sometimes lapse into -- where
technocrats proclaim their certitude about various societal woes and
bemoan
(a) their budgets, (b) their legal authority, (c) that private sector
businesses aren't sufficiently compliant and/or deferential. All the
essay
authors, based on my quick read, are current or former government-natsec
types, and I'd wager most have active security clearances.

Note in the press release below four horsemen of the infocalypse are
galloping hard into the fray ("hackers, software pirates, child
pornographers and cyber terrorists", frets Rep. Lamar Smith). Missing
are
the drug smugglers and money launderers...

Don't get me wrong; many of the recommendations make sense. Who wouldn't
agree that government infosecurity is laughable and in need of some
serious
fixing? Some of the other ideas:

* A "FANNIE MAE" for network security: "Toward that end, to maximize
business confidence, a government-sponsored enterprise, managed as an
independent corporation, should be considered..."
* A cyber-czar, move over Richard Clarke: "We need to appoint a senior
government official with clout..."
* Corporate executives are slow-witted blokes who need things explained
sloooowly: "Only when the threats to critical infrastructure are
translated
into business terms that corporate boards and senior management
understand..."
* Concern about "market failures": "The government must explore other
options to prevent market failures from posing an unacceptable risk to
the
economic and national security of the United States..."
* Limiting annonymity? "Sometimes anonymous environment... We must
revisit
our legal, economic, and social regimes... Ensure the effectiveness of
law
enforcement..."
* X-Files fodder: "consider emulating FEMA..."

-Declan

---

For Immediate Release
Press Release #107-90
May 29, 2002
Contact: Christopher Frenze
          Executive Director
          (202) 224-5171

NEW JEC COMPENDIUM EXAMINES CYBERTERRORIST THREAT

WASHINGTON, D.C.  A variety of security issues related to high
technology
is examined by leading experts in a new Joint Economic Committee
compendium
released today, Security in the Information Age: New Challenges, New
Strategies.

"These studies build on previous JEC hearings on a number of security
issues related to high technology," Chairman Jim Saxton said.  "These
studies examine how cyber security has become such an important
component
of our economic and national security, and the implications for economic
and security policy.  I would like to thank Senator Robert Bennett for
his
interest in this issue, and for his role in assembling the compendium of
papers the Committee is releasing today," Saxton concluded.

"In bringing us an exciting new era of technology, the Information Age
has
also given us a new set of security challenges," Senator Bennett
said.  "The primary message of today's report is that we must think
differently about national security in the new networked world.  As some
would say, 'we're not in Kansas anymore.'

"I commend Governor Ridge for his outstanding work to develop a national
strategy and his recognition of the importance of the private sector in
this process.  I hope our report from the JEC will be of value in this
effort," said Bennett.

"Just as mechanization was responsible for the Industrial Revolution,
technology is the foundation of our new economy," Congressman Lamar
Smith
said.  "The advantages of technology are obvious and so are the
disadvantages.  The Web is a fount of information, but also a tool for
hackers, software pirates, child pornographers and cyber terrorists.  To
sustain our economic growth, we must secure our information networks and
ensure that technology grows, not crime."

For a copy of the study, please visit the JEC website at
www.house.gov/jec

###