[infowar.de] US-Kongress debattiert Datenschutzbeauftragten fuer Homeland Security-Ministerium

Das wurde ja auch mal Zeit. Ob die vorgeschlagenen Massnahmen aber
Zaehne haben, wird sich zeigen. Scheint mir nicht wirklich so...

Das vorgeschlagende Gesetz:
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/privacyamendment.071002.gif

Ein weiterer Artikel dazu:

White House willing to negotiate on homeland security privacy concerns
By Drew Clark, National Journal's Technology Daily
July 9, 2002
http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0702/070902tdpm1.htm

RB

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-942752.html

Privacy central to Bush security plan

By Declan McCullagh

July 10, 2002, 8:15 AM PT WASHINGTON--President Bush's proposed
Department of Homeland Security is likely to get its own privacy czar.

A panel in the House of Representatives is scheduled to vote this week
on a plan to add a chief privacy officer to the planned agency.
(http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d107:h.r.05005:)

A draft of the legislation seen by CNET News.com states that the
Secretary of Homeland Security must appoint a privacy officer to ensure
that new technologies "sustain and do not erode" privacy protections and
to verify that the agency's massive databases operate within federal
guidelines.

On Tuesday, the Bush administration told a House subcommittee
(http://www.house.gov/judiciary/comm070902.htm) that it was open to the
idea, which key legislators have endorsed.

"I think privacy is a very important function. If you bring us a
proposal, I imagine that we would look at it very seriously," Mark
Everson, controller of the Office of Management and Budget
(http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb), told panel Chairman Bob Barr, R-Ga
(http://barr.house.gov).

In response, Barr suggested that the privacy position could be written
in a flexible way that would not require Senate confirmation. "I'd be
hard-pressed to argue against that," Everson said.

Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif. (http://www.house.gov/waters), said she is
concerned with the scope of a Homeland Security Department, which would
combine 22 agencies including the Secret Service, the Coast Guard, the
Federal Emergency Management Agency and part of the FBI's National
Infrastructure Protection Center.

"I don't agree with Mr. Barr very much, but I kind of like him heading
this subcommittee because he is a protector of privacy and civil
liberties--and that makes up for all the other stuff that he's not,"
Waters said. "I'm very suspicious when people start to talk about
flexibility and new powers that won't be abused by this
administration...We've got to press hard and look at this flexibility."

The draft seen by News.com says the privacy officer will be responsible
for "evaluating legislative proposals involving collection, use, and
disclosure of personal information by the federal government" to ensure
consistency with privacy laws. In addition, the officer must prepare an
annual report to Congress identifying privacy complaints raised by the
public and how the department responded.

The full House Judiciary committee (http://www.house.gov/judiciary) is
scheduled to vote on the proposal Wednesday or Thursday. After that, it
goes to a special panel chaired by House Majority Leader Dick Armey,
R-Texas (http://freedom.house.gov), that will work out a final version
of the plan.

"Mr. Armey is very supportive of all efforts to ensure that privacy laws
are upheld and strengthened when they need to be," Richard Diamond, a
spokesman for Armey, said Wednesday.

After initially opposing the idea of a Cabinet-level agency for homeland
security, Bush endorsed it in a televised address
(http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/06/20020606-8.html) last
month. Congress is scheduled to vote on the plan before its August
recess.

Peter Swire, a top privacy official under President Clinton, told Barr's
panel that the existing proposal includes few privacy safeguards. In
written testimony, Swire called the bill "a recipe for essentially
unrestricted sharing of sensitive personal information, with no apparent
incentives to limit such sharing and no remedies if the sharing goes too
far."

Swire, who has reviewed the privacy legislation, said Wednesday that
"it's a positive step to put the chief privacy officer in a statute. I'm
glad that the administration seems to be open to that approach."

If signed into law by the president, the measure would create what
appears to be the first legal requirement that a Cabinet secretary
appoint a privacy chief. "To my knowledge, this would be the first
position," says Chris Hoofnagle, legislative counsel at the Electronic
Privacy Information Center (http://www.epic.org).