Betreff: [ISN] NIAC 30 'experts'
Datum: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 02:11:58 -0500 (CDT)
Von: InfoSec News <isn -!
- c4i -
 org>
Rückantwort: InfoSec News <isn -!
- c4i -
 org>
An: isn -!
- attrition -
 org

Forwarded from: security curmudgeon <jericho -!
- attrition -
 org>

> http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/09/20020918-12.html

Established by Executive Order 13231, NIAC will make recommendations
regarding the security of the cyber and information systems of the
United
States' national security and economic critical infrastructures. The
Committee will also examine ways that partnerships between the public
and
private sectors can be enhanced to improve cyber security.

Let's break down this advisory board by title...

1 Chairman/President/CEO
8 Chairman/CEO
2 President/CEO
3 Chairman
1 Vice Chairman
2 CEO
1 COO
1 President
1 Executive Vice President
1 Governor
1 Mayor
1 Police Comissioner
1 Chief of Police

That's a whole bunch of people that likely get their e-mail printed and
handed to them.

Now, let's see if any of them have an interesting track record with
security...

> Alfred R. Berkeley III, Vice Chairman, NASDAQ Stockmarket Inc.

http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/1999/09/14/www.nasdaq-amex.com
http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/1999/09/15/www.nasdaq-amex.com

   Domain Name: NASDAQ-AMEX.COM

   Administrative Contact:
      Nasd DNS Admin  (ND542-ORG)               nasdadmin -!
- NASD -
 COM
      Nasdaq Stock Market, Inc
      9513 Keywest Ave
      Rockville , MD 20850
      US
      301.590.6856
      Fax- 301.590.6374

> L. George Martinez, Chairman, Sterling Bank and Sterling Bancshares Inc.

http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/2001/04/15/www.banksterling.com

   Domain Name: BANKSTERLING.COM

   Administrative Contact:
      Throgmorton, David  (DT5737)
throgmor -!
- BANKSTERLING -
 COM
      Sterling Bank
      15000 Northwest Frwy
      Houston , TX 77040
      713 507-7781 (FAX) 713 896-9159

http://www.attrition.org/errata/sec-co/symantec01.html
http://www.attrition.org/errata/sec-co/symantec-nipc01.html
http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/2001/01/19/smallbiz.symantec.com
http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/1999/08/02/www.symantec.com

> Thomas E. Noonan, Chairman, President and CEO, Internet Security
> Systems, Inc.

ISS' ethics have been called into question repeatedly for the last
several
years.

> Enrique Hernandez, Jr., President and CEO, Inter-Con Security Systems
> Inc.

Interesting, searching for Inter-Con Security Systems (since that name
didnt ring a bell), the first hit i get is:
http://www.gao.gov/decisions/bidpro/290493.htm

second hit is interesting:
http://www.law.com/regionals/ca/opinions/mar/bv23235.shtml

another article calls them "the largest privately held security services
firm in the world"

he is a UnitedWay board member...

and 30 hits into google, all i can see is that they provide guards for
buildings and have no easy to find web page.

http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/2001/03/22/www.qa.ebay.com
http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/1999/03/13/ebay.com

> William F. Owens, Governor of Colorado
>
> Jorge Santini, Mayor of San Juan Puerto Rico

These two are "security experts"?

> Karen Katen, President, Pfizer Global Pharmaceuticals and Executive Vice
> President, Pfizer Inc.

http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/2001/04/09/www.pfizer.se

All in all, I really don't get a warm fuzzy when thinking these people
are going to help figure out how to protect our infrastructure.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo -!
- attrition -
 org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.