[infowar.de] NETCOM nimmt Arbeit auf

Schon am 8.10. Hier noch etwas Army-PR dazu, die aber in Hinsicht auf
die dahinterstehende Philosophie interessant ist.
RB

http://www.dtic.mil/armylink/news/Oct2002/a20021016netcom1016.html

Army creates new computer network command

by Chris Walz

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, Oct. 16, 2002) -- The Army has created a
new command to spearhead information management initiatives and become a
single voice for the Army's information technology network.

Maj. Gen. James C. Hylton will head the new Network Enterprise
Technology Command/9th Army Signal Command, which came online at its
Fort Huachuca, Ariz. Headquarters Oct. 8.

Hylton, Army Chief Information Officer Lt. Gen. Peter Cuviello and Chief
Integration Officer Maj. Gen. John Scott held a roundtable discussion to
explain the command's objectives.

"Part of [the Army's] transformation is not just about Stryker Brigade
and the way we're going to fight the war. It's also about how we're
structured, how we're
going to run the operation, meaning the operation of the day-to-day
business of the army," said, Cuviello, who will oversee the new command.
"The leadership of the Army has recognized command, control,
communications and computers [as well as] information technology are
critical aspects of being able to transform the army."

"The Army is fighting a global war at the same time we're transforming,"
Scott said. "I don't know of any other Army on earth that can fight a
global war and then transform itself at the same time. That's what this
Army's doing."

Some command elements will remain in the Washington, D.C. area instead
of moving to Arizona, according to Fort Huachuca Public Affairs Officer
Carol Connor. Four regional offices are co-located with installation
management directorates at Fort Monroe, Va.; Rock Island, Ill.; Fort
McPherson, Ga.; and Fort Sam Houston, Texas.

"Our physical location [in Arizona] will help us leverage technology,"
said Deputy Commander for Support Col. Melita McCully. "We have a
presence in the Pentagon and a presence in the capital region.
Everything is working well so far, but we will continue to make
enhancements."

McCully said the command experienced minor difficulties at first,
wrinkles that were quickly ironed out. The command, however, is doing
everything to play catch up.

"Do we have all the systems and tools to do this seamlessly to all the
[major commands]?" McCully asked rhetorically. "No, not necessarily. We
may not have everything we need, but all actions are underway to do
that."

The new command is composed of Army Signal Command tactical and
strategic units, former staff of the chief information officer and
selected personnel from
subordinate commands.

"We took parts of the Army Signal Command plus we added some parts and
moved that under the umbrella of NETCOM," said Cuviello. "We took some
of the stuff being done at posts, camps and stations...and put that
under the [command] umbrella and took it out of the umbrella of the
major commands."

"By creating an enterprise-level 'info structure,' the Army is now
postured to execute the functions critical to information management,"
said Hylton. "Centralization of authority over these functions will
ensure secure, dependable and timely communications across the Army from
the foxhole to the White House."

Centralizing network operations will allow the Army to gain improved
capabilities related to network management, improve dissemination
management and information assurance, according to Connor.

Centralization also will enhance commands ability to react to computer
network attacks, according to McCully. She said the command reacts to
some 1,000
attempted intrusions per day and is responsible for monitoring cyber
intrusions and isolating the infected area from contaminating the entire
network.

The cyber hacker who invaded Forts Myer, Va. and McNair, Washington,
D.C. servers earlier this year was isolated from the remaining servers
in a similar fashion. However, McCully explained the Fort Belvoir
Regional Network Operations and Security Center didn't restrict the
cyber hacker alone.

"They didn't breed independently," McCully said, implying Fort Huachuca
assisted in the monitoring of Army networks for security. She declined
to give the details of their assistance citing the investigation is
still ongoing.

A major advantage to network security is intrusion detection software
and the ability to access Army computers from remote locations.

"Our objective is to manage all the way down to the desktop level,"
McCully added, saying the goal is to help fix individual computers from
NETCOM headquarters. "It's not going to happen overnight."

(Editor's note: Chris Walz is a staff writer with the Military District
of Washington Pentagram newspaper.)