[infowar.de] tehrantimes.com,U.S. Lawmaker Resigns Post After "Jews Pushing Iraq War" Remarks

tehrantimes.com
March 16, 2003

U.S. Lawmaker Resigns Post After "Jews Pushing Iraq War" Remarks

WASHINGTON -- A Democratic lawmaker resigned from a regional post Friday,
under pressure from his party, after claiming that the Jewish community was
behind U.S. President George W. Bush's push for war against Iraq.House
Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi said she had asked representative James Moran
of Virginia to step down as regional whip for the mid-Atlantic region, a post
his colleagues elected him to three years ago."I have taken this action
because congressman Moran's irresponsible remarks were a serious mistake,"
Pelosi said in a statement. "As I said earlier this week, his comments were
not only inappropriate, they were offensive and have no place in the
Democratic Party." Acknowledging that he had made "some insensitive remarks
that I deeply regret," Moran issued an apology "to members of the Jewish
faith and any other individuals.""I should not have singled out the Jewish
community and regret giving any impression that its members are somehow
responsible for the course of action being pursued by the administration, or
are somehow behind an impending war," he said in a statement. Pelosi had
earlier described Moran's remarks as "offensive" and said "his comments have
no place in the Democratic Party." The Reston Connection newspaper reported
that Moran told an anti-war forum on March 3: "If it were not for the strong
support of the Jewish community for this war with Iraq, we would not be doing
this.""The leaders of the Jewish community are influential enough that they
could change the direction of where this is going, and I think they should,"
the Connection quoted Moran as saying.Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of
people in Yemen marched against a looming war on Iraq Saturday as
demonstrations unfolded in Asia, the Middle East and Europe and were planned
for the United States, AFP reported.The protests came on the eve of an
emergency summit on the crisis on the Azores Islands by the leaders of
Britain, Spain and the United States, the chief advocates of using force to
disarm Baghdad and oust President Saddam Hussein.In the Yemeni capital of
Sanaa, marchers responded to a call by political parties, unions and a
variety of organizations, including the powerful Islamist Al-Islah Movement,
the country's main opposition force."No to Terrorism and to American Fleets,"
"America Is the Mother of Terrorism," they shouted.In Baghdad, tens of
thousands of protesters, including children, caused huge traffic jams as they
marched through the capital carrying portraits of Saddam, banners to his
glory and against war.In Egypt, where rallies in support of Iraq and the
Palestinians have become an almost daily occurrence for the past two weeks,
some 1,500 police outnumbered several hundred demonstrators at the University
of Cairo.In Greece, demonstrators added a touch of art to their protest, with
some 15,000 people marching in Athens behind a giant replica of Picasso's
celebrated anti-war painting, Guernica."EU-U.S.-UN Killers Go Home," read
banners carried by the protestors, who had been summoned by anti-globalizatio
n groups to march to the U.S. Embassy in the Greek capital. Smaller
demonstrations were held in other cities throughout the country.In Russia,
some 1,000 communists, young members of the International Workers' Party and
youth members of communist organizations rallied in front of the U.S. Embassy
in Moscow. "I Love This Man, He Is Like Stalin," Nina Gulchyeva, a protestor,
said of Saddam, whose portrait was emblazoned on a banner that she carried.
"Someone Should Bomb Washington."In Cyprus, some 2,000 Greek Cypriots banged
drums, blew whistles and shouted anti-U.S. slogans outside the U.S. Embassy
in Nicosia.In Italy, tens of thousands of people were gathering in the
economic capital of Milan for an anti-war demonstration that organizers were
predicting would attract nearly half a million people.In France, between
4,500 and 10,000 people turned out for a rally in the southern city of
Marseille and tens of thousands of demonstrators were expected to march in
the capital of Paris.Demonstrations also took place in Belgium, Denmark,
Germany and Turkey.In Japan, organizers estimated that some 5,500 people
rallied in Naha, the main city on Japans' southern Island of Okinawa where
most of the U.S. troops in this country are based.In South Korea, some 3,000
banner-waving marchers were led by loud drums and gongs as they made their
way through the busy Chongno district in Seoul toward the U.S. Embassy in the
city center.In Vietnam, several thousand people were mobilized onto the
streets of the Vietnamese capital of Hanoi by the ruling communist party.EU
Foreign Policy Chief Javier Solana said Saturday he was "not very optimistic"
about the chances of avoiding war on Iraq, and declined to forecast the
outcome of the Azores summit.The mounting crisis overshadowed a meeting in
Athens of European defense ministers, whose discussions included debate on
post-war scenarios for Iraq.Britain's minister at the talks warned afterwards
that "time is running out" for Saddam Hussein, although insisting that the
Azores summit scheduled for Sunday of U.S., Britain and Spanish leaders was
still seeking peace. "The Azores is a very good example of very strenuous
efforts being made to bring a peaceful solution to this," said Armed Forces
Minister Adam Ingram, while adding: "Diplomacy has not ended but the time is
running out."The two-day session, in a plush seafront resort outside Athens,
was meant to trumpet the EU's emerging common security policy, due to be
embodied in its first-ever peacekeeping mission in Macedonia, to be launched
this month.But Iraq overshadowed the talks from the start.Solana insisted
that diplomacy must continue, but did not express great hopes. "I am not very
optimistic," he said.Greek Defense Minister Yannos Papantoniou, whose country
currently holds the EU presidency, also said it was difficult to remain
hopeful of avoiding war."Of course one cannot be optimistic. But we should
still try so long as there is still time," he said.The EU ministerial meeting
came barely 24 hours before a summit of the leaders of the United States,
Britain and Spain in the Azores to discuss what to do about the crisis."I
dont know what is going to happen. I have no idea what the three leaders are
going to talk about," said Solana.French Defense Minister Michele
Alliot-Marie made no comment after the two-day meeting, as she prepared to
head to the Persian Gulf to bring "a message" from President Jacques Chirac
to three states in the region.Belgian Defense Minister Andre Flahaut shared
the air of pessimism about the Iraq crisis -- and said the world was
apparently on the brink of war and must be ready to manage a post-war
situation."Unfortunately I believe that if tomorrow or the day after
hostilities break out, there will be a post-war and, even if we didn't want
it, we will perhaps be called on to do humanitarian things," he said.The
British minister rebuffed the Belgian comments. "We're not speculating on any
timelines at all on this... it is wrong I think to speculate in the way in
which the Belgians have done," he said.He added that EU ministers had touched
on the issue of post-war scenarios for Iraq, but stressed that EU foreign
ministers and government heads would discuss the issue further in Brussels
next week.The minister had discussed post-conflict scenarios "in passing, but
not in any great depth... next week those discussions may be taken forward,"
he said. An EU summit is scheduled for March 20-21.Solana meanwhile said he
believes there will be no "collateral damage" to U.S.-EU relations despite
the current crisis over Iraq. He said he had spoken to U.S. Secretary of
State Colin Powell twice on Friday. "When the European Union and the U.S. do
work together the problems are more easy to be solved," he said. "The
relationship is so profound that I cannot conceive any collateral damage."