[infowar.de] Federal Computer Week in Kuwait

Dan Caterinicchia, der regelmäßig für die FCW über Militär und Computer
schreibt, ist seit gestern auch in Kuwait. Es könnte alsio interesant
sein, dort regelmäßig reinzuschauen. Natürlich wird er v.a. die
offizielle Perspektive hören, aber die Geeks haben zum Glück mit den
PR-Leuten oft nicht viel am Hut.
Hier sein erster Bericht.
RB

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/middle_east/web-kuwait-03-25-03.asp

Weather, security slow Day 2

Reporter's notebook

BY Dan Caterinicchia
March 25, 2003

FARWANIYA, Kuwait - My first day in Kuwait brought many contacts with
Defense Department information technology personnel here -- and I even
got my first pitch from a contractor -- but hard news is hard to come
by.

The Army is working hard to get me access to a couple of camps here in
Kuwait so that I can report on numerous IT-laden systems, ranging from
how satellite communications are helping to ease bandwidth constraints
and how radio frequency identification (RFID) tags are being used to
provide increased visibility over logistics.

The Marine Corps also is working on similar angles, but security has
been stepped up at the military bases in light of increasingly active
war operations.

Still, I'm lining up interviews with DOD and industry folks, so watch
for those pieces later this week or early next week.

Meanwhile, the weather here in Kuwait has been overcast and rainy, but
it is not as bad as the sandstorms and almost total darkness troops and
journalists are enduring on the battlefields in Iraq.

Although the wind, rain and sand have severely limited visibility and
hindered certain military helicopters, coalition forces have plenty of
options that are not weather-dependent, according to Air Force Maj. Gen.
Victor Renuart, director of operations at Central Command.

"The weather does affect Apaches [helicopters], but we have an
integrated air approach," and the coalition forces are using aircraft
that are not affected by the weather, Renuart said today during a press
briefing from Qatar. "We have the most sophisticated ISR [intelligence,
surveillance, reconnaissance] assets in the world. They're working well
and allowing us to continue to operate."

Renuart also said that Iraqi forces were using Global Positioning System
jammers in an attempt to block coalition weapons and other systems that
rely on the GPS satellites. However, DOD located each of the six Iraqi
GPS-jamming sites and destroyed them all, he said.

Army Brig. Gen. Vincent Brooks, also speaking at the Centcom press
briefing, showed demonstrations of DOD weapons successfully destroying
Iraqi military targets, and said that in addition to vehicles, weapons
and depots, coalition forces are also targeting and destroying command,
control, communications (C3) and intelligence nodes in Iraq.

Because of this, Renuart urged all Iraqi citizens to stay away from any
building or asset associated with Saddam Hussein's regime, including C3
installations.