[infowar.de] OGC wages media battle

Agency wages media battle
Team makes sure war message is unified, positive Advertisement
http://www.chicagotribune.com/templates/misc/printstory.jsp?slug=chi%2D0304070189apr07&section=/printstory
By Bob Kemper, Chicago Tribune, April 7, 2003

WASHINGTON -- The Office of Global Communications, a controversial
agency created by President Bush in January, has blossomed into a huge
production company, issuing daily scripts on the Iraq war to U.S.
spokesmen around the world, auditioning generals to give media briefings
and booking administration stars on foreign news shows.

The office--a sort of global public-relations firm for the Bush
administration and the U.S. war effort--tightly coordinates the message
of the Pentagon, the State Department and the military command in the
Persian Gulf, ensuring that any war commentary by a U.S. official is
approved in advance by the White House.

Critics are questioning the veracity of some of the stories being
circulated by the office and deriding it as a propaganda arm of the
White House. But administration officials insist the office does not
deal in disinformation and they say it serves a crucial purpose.

"We must do everything we can to help communicate the ideals and the
policies of our country," said White House Communications Director Dan
Bartlett. "In some countries we haven't paid as much attention, or spent
enough time, doing that."

The communications office helps devise and coordinate each day's talking
points on the war. Civilian and military personnel, for example, are
told to refer to the invasion of Iraq as a "war of liberation." Iraqi
paramilitary forces are to be called "death squads."
(...)