[infowar.de] USIP Studie:HOW MODERN TERRORISM USES THE INTERNET

Scheint mal eine ausgewogenere Einschätzung zu sein, aber eigentlich
auch nichts überraschend Neues für diese Liste:

> ? The mass media, policymakers, and even security agencies have tended to focus on
> the exaggerated threat of cyberterrorism and paid insufficient attention to the more
> routine uses made of the Internet. Those uses are numerous and, from the terrorists?
> perspective, invaluable.
> ? There are eight different ways in which contemporary terrorists use the Internet, ranging
> from psychological warfare and propaganda to highly instrumental uses such as
> fundraising, recruitment, data mining, and coordination of actions.
> ? While we must better defend our societies against cyberterrorism and Internet-savvy
> terrorists, we should also consider the costs of applying counterterrorism measures to
> the Internet. Such measures can hand authoritarian governments and agencies with
> little public accountability tools with which to violate privacy, curtail the free flow of
> information, and restrict freedom of expression, thus adding a heavy price in terms of
> diminished civil liberties to the high toll exacted by terrorism itself.

WWW.TERROR.NET:  HOW MODERN TERRORISM USES THE INTERNET.  [USIP Special
Report No.  116]
Gabriel Weimann.
United States Institute of Peace (USIP).  March 2004.

Since 9/11, terrorists have sharpened their Internet skills and
increased their web presence.
Today, terrorists of very different ideological persuasions?Islamist,
Marxist, nationalist,
separatist, racist?have learned many of the same lessons about how to
make the most of the
Internet.  The great virtues of the Internet?ease of access, lack of
regulation, vast potential
audiences, fast flow of information, and so forth?have been turned to
the advantage of groups
committed to terrorizing societies to achieve their goals.
        According to this report, all active terrorist groups have a web
presence; USIP
researchers tallied hundreds of web sites maintained by such groups.
The author posits eight
different ways in which terrorists use the Internet, ?ranging from
psychological warfare and
propaganda to highly instrumental uses such as fundraising, recruitment,
data mining, and
coordination of actions.?  He urges policymakers to pay more attention
to these uses of
cyberspace by terrorist organizations.

http://www.usip.org/pubs/specialreports/sr116.pdf  [pdf format, 12
pages]
http://www.usip.org/pubs/specialreports/sr116.html  [html format, 14
printed pages]

--
HSFK Hessische Stiftung für Friedens- und Konfliktforschung