[infowar.de] GovExec Feb.13, 2002: Cybersecurity chief assesses progress

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0202/021302td1.htm

February 13, 2002

Cybersecurity chief assesses progress

By William New, National Journal's Technology Daily

The White House's cybersecurity chief on Wednesday assessed the first 90

days of the President's Critical Infrastructure Protection Board,
listing its top accomplishments.

Richard Clarke, special administrator to the president for cyberspace
security, told a hearing convened by Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., that
a national strategy for cybersecurity being developed by a wide range of

government, private sector and academic experts is expected for release
by early summer.

Schumer said cybersecurity has been "largely overlooked, at least in our

public analysis." He said in the past few weeks he has begun reviewing
the nation's status on cybersecurity, "and to be honest, the answers are

very, very worrisome."

"We need to talk about the risks we face, we need to develop immediate
solutions, and that's what I hope we'll begin accomplishing today,"
Schumer said.

Clarke said the national strategy will be "only the beginning," and will

be "live in real time," evolving as necessary to reflect new cyber
threats. He also said the budget for cybersecurity was increased by 64
percent. Sustained levels of investment will be needed in the future, he

said.

Meetings of leaders, such as Bill Gates of Microsoft, John Chambers of
Cisco Systems and Larry Ellison of Oracle have begun in recent weeks and

will result in "highly secure" software products, Clarke said. The
National Cyberspace Security Alliance, involving those tech leaders and
others, is working on how to secure systems, he said.

The administration has cleared bureaucratic channels by moving,
hopefully next month, three key offices together. They are the Critical
Infrastructure Assurance Office of the Commerce Department, the National

Infrastructure Protection Center (NIPC) of the FBI, and the president's
new board.

Also, new scholarships are being offered this year for university
students to study information security, with more proposed for next
year. The average grant this year is $30,000, Clarke said.

He also cited the GovNet internal government computer network that is
being considered. And he said 167 companies have said they could create
an airline security network.

Clarke said the United States more likely will be a target of
cyberattack since it has become engaged in armed conflict, and he said
there is evidence that terrorist groups have been trying to learn ways
to commit cyberattacks. He said that even now, many computer systems
probably have been penetrated in ways that are not yet known.

Clarke said the government retains the license to respond to any attacks

in any way it chooses. He also said individuals and companies should
rethink what information they post on Web sites.

--

Dipl. Pol., wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter