[infowar.de] DEF CON TEN - Call for Papers

DEF CON TEN Call for Papers Announcement
V 1.0 Feb 22, 2002
http://www.defcon.org/html/dc10/defcon-10-cfp.html

Papers and presentations are now being accepted for DEF CON TEN, the
largest "hacking" convention on the planet. Papers and requests to
speak will be received and reviewed from NOW until July 1st.  The
sooner you contact us with the appropriate materials, the sooner your
spot is reserved. We select on a first some, first served basis.

Presentations that are of particular interest to us are
demonstrations, new technology and tools, the release of unique
research, the announcement of a new project, or the screening of new
videos get priority during the selection process. As you can see we
want new material and demonstrations if possible.

There will be nine broad categories of talks this year, each with
their own track plus a new breakout area for talks that are more
specialized or experimental in nature.

SPEAKING REQUIREMENTS

Please submit a few paragraph descriptions on a subject that falls
under one of the speaking tracks (See below.) In your description
describe what it is you will talk about, what the audience will learn,
what papers or tools they should be familiar with to get the most out
of your talk, whether or not a new tool or technique will be released,
and generally how technical the talk will be. If it includes a
demonstration let us know how many LCD projectors you will need. Also
we will need to know if you want a 1 hour or 1.5 hour spot. Please
also provide a paragraph BIO on who you are and why you are qualified
to speak. No real names are necessary, but we do need a way of
checking out if you are for real or just a good social engineer.

New for this year is a con CD ROM. This will contain stuff. Some of
the stuff will be a copy of your presentation, tools, white papers,
and other stuff you want the audience to know about. What will happen
is you email us a .zip or .tgz of everything you want on the CD, and
we'll un-zip it into a directory named after you on the ROM. For
example, you are giving a talk on wireless packet data using an HF
radio. Besides your presentations you might include copies of programs
used for encoding / decoding data from your radio, copies of articles
talking about your subject, a list of URLs people should check out,
etc. Basically give the attendees a good starting point from which
they can better learn about your topic.

The focus of the speaking tracks is as follows:

Friday:
1 - Hack Phreak 101
2 - Privacy and Anonymity
3 - Net Recon
4 - Breakout area

Saturday:
1 - The Big Picture
2 - Attack + Tools
3 - Wireless
4 - Breakout area

Sunday:
1 - Agents, Trojans & Viruses
2 - Network Defense
3 -
4 - Breakout area

HACK PHREAK 101:

This track is for either those people new to the scene or those who
want to get into a new area. These are overview talks that give the
audience exposure to all the areas of a particular technology skill.
For example "An overview of phone switching technology" or "A
introduction to network attacks' could be descriptions of talks in
this category.

PRIVACY AND ANONYMITY:

This track explores privacy issues, both physical and technical. What
technical means can be used to protect your network communications?
How would you know if you are being followed? What does a "bug sweep"
entail?  What are the limits of computer forensics? These are just
suggested topics, but you get the idea!

NET RECON:

Before you can attack or defend it helps to know what is on your
network.  This track covers the tools and techniques used to explore
and map a network as well as passively and actively identify nodes on
that network.  Suggested topics could include "How to scan an IDS
protected network" or "The limits of Passive O/S Detection."

THE BIG PICTURE:

While all this technology is cool, what about the bigger picture? Will
you go to jail if you try any of it? Will China kidnap your ass and
chop off your hands? This track explores the legal, political, moral,
and media side of both legal and illegal hacking.

ATTACK + TOOLS:

It is always easier to attack than defend, and you're going to show
why.  These talks will cover new attack methods and tools. Talks could
cover protocols, applications, embedded devices, and operating
systems.  Demonstrations, for any talk, are always well received by
the audience.

WIRELESS:

With everything going wireless, this is a chance to show the strengths
and weaknesses of various technologies. The technologies covered could
be two-way pagers, GSM phones, BlueTooth, Sat-Phones, wireless
Ethernet, packet data on HF (or even FRS) radios, Public Safety use of
CDPD, etc.  There are so many technologies all around us. We want to
know what's up with them.

AGENTS, TROJANS & VIRUESES:

Distributed attack and DDoS agents, evil Trojans, super smart viruses,
and hybrid tools that combine aspects of all the above. What is the
state of the art in this area, and what can be done to defend against
them? In the last year much work has been done in this area; let's try
to shed some light on them.

NETWORK DEFENSE:

This is the more difficult piece of the security puzzle. Talks could
cover everything from "How to lock down your FreeBSD install," "Using
IPSEC and S/Wan to help protect your network communications," "Using
free firewalls, O/S, IDS, and Logging tools to defend on the cheap,"
or even "Building a web server that is immune to attack as possible"
are all of interest. You can see where I am going with these talks.
Practical talks that people can go and mess with once they leave the
DEF CON.

BREAKOUT AREA:

The Breakout area is a new speaking area for DEF CON TEN, and is an
experiment this year. The purpose of the break out area is for people
who want to either speak on a topic that will not draw the large
numbers needed to take up a big speaking area, or who want more of a
classroom setting to deliver their materials. The seating for these
talks will be on a first come, first served basis.

What got me thinking about adding this track was this: What if someone
wanted to give a talk or class on modifying a TiVO, or some sort of
other electronic device? Not everyone in a big room is going to break
out and work on a TiVO in their lap, but I would find the talk very
interesting, and I am sure others would too. Because we have several
smaller rooms this year we are going to give this a try.

If you want to give a breakout talk please submit just as you would
for any other talk, but instead of telling us what track you want to
speak in, tell us that you want a break out space. Then tell us in
detail about the subject, how many people max you can have in the
class (For example, if the rooms hold 100 but you only have tools for
50 people to use, set the class size at 50.) and any special
requirements the attendees should plan for.

Because this is a new track this year we expect to sort this out as
time goes on. Please only submit if you are serious, it is always a
pain in the ass when people cancel at the last minute.

Please make your talks as technical as possible, unless you are
submitting for the Hack Phreak 101 or the Big Picture Track. DEF CON
wants to increase to quality and content of the presentations, and
that is why we are paying speakers this year. If you are selected to
speak on some uber topic, and then instead give a weak talk, don't
expect to get paid.

NOTE: The examples of topics used above are to give ideas and
direction to potential speakers, and is not the ultimate list. Because
of the unique nature of this conference, the emphasis is on where the
rubber meets the road, what is new and cool, major announcements (al
la BO2k), and topics hackers wouldn't normally come across.

Talks will be either one hour or one and a half hours in length, and
it is expected the speaker will make time for audience participation
and Q&A.

Submissions should be in an outline format to give us a good idea of
the quality and depth of your speech. Please include what track you
are submitting to, and how much time you would like for your talk. If
you need more than one LCD wall projector for a demonstration, please
advise how many you need.  By speaking at DEF CON you are granting DEF
CON, Inc.  permission to reproduce, distribute, and potentially
advertise your presentation on www.defcon.org, in our streaming media
Send submissions to talks @ defcon.org.

PRESENTATION RESOURCES

We can accommodate most any request if it enhances your presentation.
Current tools made available to speakers include LCD projectors,
overhead projectors, and slide projectors.

This year there will be up to two LCD projectors in a session. If your
talk requires any sort of demonstration we encourage you to set up a
network (Machines can be provided) and have each machine projecting on
one of the LCDs. Audience members will be able to follow along what is
occurring on each node as the talks progress, or the speaker may
provide different information on different screen, etc.

This year the 802.11b network will extend to the speaking areas, so if
you need to include net access to your presentation, plan on bringing
a WI FI card, or asking for wired (10Bt) network access.

Please forward any additional resource questions to talks @
defcon.org.  Speakers will be subscribed to a mailing list that
includes the other conference speakers in an attempt to allow a level
of collaboration between presentations.

SELECTION CRITERIA

This year we are going to increase the quality of the talks by
screening people and topics better. I realize you guys are speaking
for basically free, but some talks are better than others. Some people
put in a bit more effort than others. I want to reward the people who
do the work by making sure there is room for them.

After an outline is received speakers will be contacted if there are
any questions about their presentations. If your talk is accepted you
can continue to modify and evolve it up until the last minute, but
don't deviate from your accepted outline.

Talks that are more technical or reveal new vulnerabilities are of
more interest than a review of firewall technologies will be given
more consideration, as will original content or research that have
been created for DEF CON and has not been seen before.

If you are selected we will mail you with information on deadlines for
when we need your presentation to be burnt on the CD ROM as well as
information for the printed program.

REMUNERATION

Speakers get in to the show free, get paid $200 (AFTER they give a
good presentation!), get a coolio badge, and people like you more.
Heck, most people find it is a great way to get or change a job. I
should rename DEF CON to Head Hunter Con.

MORE CONVENTION INFORMATION

Please visit http://www.defcon.org/ for previous conference archives,
information, and speeches. Updated announcements will be posted to
news groups, security mailing lists and this web site.

HOTEL INFORMATION

DEF CON TEN will take place at the Alexis Park, in Las Vegas, Nevada,
USA August 1st to the 3rd.

Thank you for your time. Any questions please email The Dark Tangent,
speaking submissions should get mailed to: talks @ defcon.org