[infowar.de] Million users download Army game

http://www.dtic.mil/armylink/news/Jul2002/a20020718armygame.html

Million users download Army game

by Den=E0 McClurkin

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, July 18, 2002) - From home or elsewhere, the
average American can now defend the Alaskan Pipeline, experience basic
training and be a part of the 172nd Separate Infantry Brigade -- with the
help of the Army's new computer game, "America's Army." Since its launch
July 4, more than one million Americans have downloaded the game for free.
"America's Army" actually includes two separate games: "Soldiers," a
role-playing character-builder based on the Army's values, and
"Operations," a first-person shooter game that takes the player on missions
to attack enemies. "It's a great game because it allows people to see what
it's like to be in the Army and on one of our many operations," said Maj.
Chris Chambers, deputy director of the Office of Economic and Manpower
Analysis at the U.S. Army Military Academy. His office came up with the
idea for the game. "Our game reflects the values of the Army and not just
the actions," Chambers said. "We value human life. And accomplishing the
mission with the lowest number of causalities is our goal." The students
and faculty of the Modeling, Virtual Environment and Simulation Institute
in Monterey, Calif., developed the game and worked with leading computer
game firms to make the game detailed and realistic. Lt. Col. Casey
Wardynski, director of the Office of Economic and Manpower Analysis,
proposed the idea for an Army computer game in 1999 with hopes of using it
as a education-packed way to reach America's youth, Chambers said. "More
than 300,000 people have registered to play the on-line version of the
game, which tells us that there is a great thirst for knowledge about the
U.S. Army," Chambers said. The idea is to give young men and women a taste
of battlefield tactics and soldier professionalism, Chambers said. The game
is online, so players can log onto the www.americasarmy.com and use team
strategies to achieve their objectives. By September, the Army expects to
have paid about $7.5 million to create and distribute the games, Chambers
said, which includes more than two years of development for the two games
"This is very cost-effective in comparison to television, and it is also a
more detailed means of showing the American people what we do," Chambers=
 said.