[infowar.de] US Army definiert technische Eigenschaften für Future Combat System

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2002/0909/news-army-09-09-02.asp

Army details goals of Future Combat System

 BY Dan Caterinicchia
 Sept. 9, 2002

 The Army, in the midst of a sweeping initiative to transform how it
conducts war, released a document late last month defining its
overarching operational requirements for the Future Combat System (FCS).

 The document, issued by the Army's Training and Doctrine Command,
represents a fundamental shift of focus from conceptual development to
materiel solutions, said Lt. Gen. John Riggs, director of the Objective
Force Task Force, speaking Sept. 4 at an Association of the U.S. Army
conference in Falls Church, Va.

 The Objective Force will transform the Army's forces to make them
better able to survive an all-out fight. FCS, a key component of the
initiative, will equip Army vehicles with information and communications
systems to enable soldiers to conduct missions, including command and
control, surveillance and reconnaissance, direct and indirect fire, and
personnel transport.

 "The conceptual foundation for FCS and the Objective Force has been
established," Riggs said, adding that the operational requirements
document should be viewed as a baseline document.

 Gen. Eric Shinseki, Army chief of staff, said now that the FCS
requirements are set, it's time for the acquisition community and
industry to develop a system to meet those requirements. FCS' advanced
collaborative environment will take soldiers' input into account, which
will shape the product that the engineers develop from the start, he
added.

 "The FCS advanced collaborative environment will change what we mean
about shared concepts," Shinseki said. "It will break down walls. Our
current processes are slow and cumbersome, and [this will be] more
responsive for what we have to do."

 Col. William Johnson, Objective Force project manager, said the FCS
user requirements are put into terms of threshold and objective
capabilities.

 "The threshold is the 2010 time frame, and the objective is a point in
the future when the technology and operational concepts mature to the
point where we can add them," Johnson told Federal Computer Week. "We
know the minimum and where we want to go, and we can develop
architectures with growth in mind."

 The FCS lead systems integrator team, Boeing Co.'s Space and
Communications Group and Science Applications International Corp., was
awarded a $154 million contract in March. In June, the team added eight
more companies to the mix.

 Jerry McElwee, vice president and program manager for FCS at Boeing,
said the integrator team "is on schedule to meet the [Army's] milestone
decision point this spring."

 Johnson said that the integrator team represented a new way of
partnering with industry for the Army and that the team played a part in
developing the user requirements that form the basis of the operational
requirements.

 "Now we have an understanding of what the user expects, and we can go
through and analyze the requirements and turn them into performance
specifications for systems," he said. That process will continue through
December.