[infowar.de] Pentagon bekommt Abteilung für Communications-Kompatibilität

Das neue Transformational Communications Office soll dafür sorgen, dass
die einzelnen Teilstreitkräfte ihre Kommunikationsbeschaffungen
aufeinander abstimmen. Sprich: Die technische Umsetzung des "System of
Systems".
RB

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2002/0909/news-comm-09-09-02.asp

DOD office to fill communications gap

 BY Dan Caterinicchia
 Sept. 9, 2002

 The Defense Department has set up an office charged with ensuring the
compatibility of communications systems across DOD, the intelligence
community and NASA.

 The Transformational Communications Office, headed by Navy Rear Adm.
Rand Fisher, will develop a common architecture and acquisition strategy
for the three communities so that information can be easily accessed and
shared among the agencies.

 At a Sept. 3 Pentagon press briefing, Air Force undersecretary Peter
Teets, also director of the National Reconnaissance Office, said a study
conducted earlier this year showed that "our baseline program plan would
not meet forecast requirements and that we needed to transform our
communications architecture."

 The time is right, Teets said. "We now have a window of opportunity to
provide an architectural framework for a compatible communications
system across [DOD] and the intelligence community that could increase
our capabilities by a factor of 10."

 The communications office will develop a joint architecture and
acquisition strategy by coordinating the development of systems under
existing agency program offices using their authorities and budgets,
Teets said.

 "Each service or agency will remain responsible for managing their
individual programs within the framework of the transformational
communications architecture," said Teets, adding that although the
communications office is "a joint office, it won't have acquisition
authority."

 Teets said the communications office will ensure that various feeder
systems "connect to the warfighter and that the warfighter can get
on-demand service from the communication system. When he needs something
in the cockpit of an airplane, it will be there."

 The office will also ensure that the protocols used in the military
services, intelligence community and NASA are compatible so that when an
"intelligence community analyst requests a certain piece of information
from a database located a long way away, he'll be able to request it and
get rapid service, as will the warfighter," he said.

 If an agency is on a path to acquire systems that are incompatible with
others, Teets said he would make the leaders of that agency aware of the
situation.

 "I don't think this is a case of arm twist[ing]; it's a case of
connect[ing] with development, plans, schedules," he said.

 "But remember, what this is going to do [is] bring together
representatives of all of the organizations that currently are involved
in communications and together come up with the architecture," said
Fisher, who is also director of communications at the National
Reconnaissance Office and commander of the Navy's Space and Naval
Warfare Systems Command's Space Field Activity in San Diego.

 Jack Spencer, an analyst with the Heritage Foundation, a Washington,
D.C., think tank, said the communications office would not only help
facilitate DOD's transformation, but it would also "help bring about
greater jointness that the department has been trying to achieve since
its inception."