[infowar.de] FCW 14.11.02 Air Force piloting SIPRNET portal

Air Force piloting SIPRNET portal

 BY Dan Caterinicchia =

 Nov. 14, 2002

 The Air Force is developing a portal that runs on the Defense
Department's Secret Internet Protocol
 Router Network (SIPRNET) in an attempt to provide air operations
centers "point and click" access to
 an integrated set of secure information.

 Lt. Gen. Leslie Kenne, deputy chief of staff for warfighting
integration at Air Force headquarters, said the
 SIPRNET portal is being tested as a way to eliminate the "disconnect
between the force and the unit
 level" and will enable users to simply "point and click" to get the
information they want.

 The portal is being piloted at the Combined Air Operations Center at
Langley, Air Force Base, Va.,
 Kenne said, speaking Nov. 13 at Air Force IT Day, sponsored by the
Northern Virginia chapter of the
 Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association (AFCEA)
International. She said her office
 is working the Air Force's Office of the Chief Information Officer on
the project.

 "We can only make good use [of the portal] with a good database plan,
database management, and databases that are tagged so they
 can be accessed easily.... None of those three things exist today,"
Kenne said. "A policy decision will be coming out on that very soon
 with metrics to go along with it. We need to be an enforcer [on
this]...and it will be top-down driven."

 Air Force CIO John Gilligan agreed. "In a very short time, we have been
able to integrate a fairly large set of what I call services into a
 portal that provides a view from the operations center," he told FCW.
"It's an integrated way of accessing information, that in the past,
 has been location-centric. This will open up our vision on how to build
applications in the future."

 The portal was first demonstrated after only about four weeks of
development, and is progressing through a spiral development
 process, Kenne told FCW. She said she saw the demonstration, or "first
spiral," at the beginning of October and is confident that the
 SIPRNET portal will become operational.
-- =

Dipl. Pol.
HSFK Hessische Stiftung f=FCr Friedens- und Konfliktforschung
PRIF Peace Research Institute Frankfurt
Leimenrode 29 60322 Frankfurt a/M Germany
Tel +49 (0)69 9591 0422  Fax +49 (0)69 5584 81
http://www.hsfk.de                         pgpKey:0xAD48A592
minkwitz -!
- hsfk -