Subject: [infosoc4all] IS alternatives to War
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 09:24:56 -0800 (PST)
From: rl -!
- dcn -
 org
To: rl -!
- radlab -
 com
CC: infosoc4all -!
- yahoogroups -
 com,
gcnp -!
- globalcn -
 tc -
 ca,dotforce-wsis -!
- vancouvercommunity -
 net

Colleagues,
        I thought that I'd run some controversial thoughts past you for
response.  Like most of you, I am largely distracted and involved in
thinking about the current forseeable conflicts and tensions mounting
around the world.  Call and actions for war on one side and peace on the
other, seem naiively simplistic, dangerous and inadequate in addressing
the
'realpolitik' of the situation in Iraq, or next zones of confict.  There
is
little offering of real alternatives.
        I am led to thoughts of war mitigation for the near and long
term,
for a world where technological development, hunger and poverty,
ideological differences, mal-intentions and corruption, WMD, terrorism,
and
free flow of information make for increasing danger.  A solution that
emerges to me, is inherently controversial and poses very significant
issues that counter our best intentions for the WSIS process and
precepts.
        I'll try to write something in depth, but will keep it simple
here.
I believe that our shared vision and objectives for an increasingly
globally-locally networked world is the concept of more 'Open
Societies'.
In the practical, immediate situation this means the sharing of
information
and 'intelligence'.   The answer for Iraq, is that Inspectors stay for a
long term, continuing to search and find undeclared weapons and
materials,
and that the U.S., the UK and other nations agree to share currently
secret, high-tech intelligence and surveillance findings with the
Inspectors, the UN and the public.  This would make the threat of
illegal
actions almost impossible.  If needed, military actions would have to be
by
strategic international forces; not now in place.
        Ultimately the counter to military warfare and destrction of
life
and property would be a greater amount of 'open' and shared intelligence
and surveillance.  Not centralized, but distributed and cooperative 'big
brothers/sisters'.  This proposes the vision of the much feared
'surveillance society', yet in the current reality, it may be less
offensive or destructive than militarism and war as we anticipate it.
It
would have to apply to all (the U.S., EU, China, etc., not just 'evil
empires'), in the form of new international policies, presently
unimaginable.
        Is it the lesser of two evils?  Am I completely 'off the wall';
naiive?  What are the implications of an 'open' society, where increased
non-centralized intelligence gathering and sharing, and surveillance
become
the means to mitigate warfare?  The impacts on the WSIS appeals for
communication rights, privacy and other altruistic objectives for all,
would be severe.
        I'm sure I'll be mis-understood.  But, I am trying to consider
the
real future of our societies and the real dangers we will increasingly
face, even if the Iraq (or Korea, or Israel-Palestine, or
India-Pakistan,
or ....) are resolved in the short term.  Peace is an ideal, always to
be
advocated and worked toward, but not a practical reality.  Economic and
cultural exchanges in concert with education and healthcare initiatives
(and respect/valuing of differences) must be the ultimate counters to
conflict.  The difficult issue is how to get from here to there.
        I look forward to your responses.
rl

Richard Lowenberg, Executive Director
Davis Community Network (DCN), 1623 5th St., Davis, CA 95616

Ph. 530-750-1170  or  530-668-1100 (H)      Fax 530-757-2938
rl -!
- dcn -
 org                              http://www.dcn.org/

Yolo Area Regional Network (YARN)       http://www.yarn.org/

RADLab (personal projects site)         http://www.radlab.com
"The body of knowledge speaks with rhythmic grace when moved by
inspiration."