[infowar.de] MI5 website will analyse threat of terrorist attack

http://search.ft.com/search/article.html?id=031118001259

NATIONAL NEWS: MI5 website will analyse threat of terrorist attack By
Mark Huband, Security Correspondent
Financial Times; Nov 18, 2003

MI5 is to launch a web-based service setting out information on the
terrorist threat.

The service, which will be launched by March 2004, will analyse the
threat and suggest preparations to mitigate the impact. The launch will
draw the Security Service further into the public arena.

Although there is already a substantial amount of advice and information
on terrorism on the Home Office website, Whitehall felt it was not being
fully used.

"People are not looking at websites unless they are directed to," said a
Whitehall official. "Security concerns are far down the food chain of
companies, and they need to treat terrorism as they treat other kinds of
corporate risk."

Most of the Home Office material related to security issues is written
by MI5 but Whitehall hopes more people will be drawn by allure of the
agency's Security Service stamp. The Home Office will remain solely
responsible for issuing alerts, while the MI5 service will explain how
to understand the threat.

The strategy is part of a process to raise MI5's public profile and
prevent complacency about the threat of terrorism. There is also the
realisation that a better-informed public and more security-conscious
business sector are main elements in the government's counter-terrorism
strategy.

In a recent speech to London police officers, Eliza Manningham-Buller,
MI5 director-general, said: "I firmly believe that the public are
sensible and realistic in their expectations of both the Security
Service and our partners in countering this threat. We need to continue
to tell them about the threat, explain the nature and extent of it and
be clear about what can be expected of us by the public. We need and
rely on public co-operation and support for our work."

Public knowledge of what MI5 does has remained limited, however, and
expectations of the service are probably not as clear as the MI5 head
suggests. The aim of the service's decision to adopt a higher profile is
to create a direct link with the public.

The aim of the web service is to provide "authenticated descriptions of
the threat", said the Whitehall official. The service intends to be-
come the definitive source of information, based on
intelligence-gathering. "The information isn't going to be specific
because it couldn't be done without endangering sources. But it will be
authoritative," he added.

Andreas Dietl

EU Affairs Director
European Digital Rights