----------

Cubans denied access to US TV by American company
http://medianetwork.blogspot.com/
Monday, May 17, 2004

In one of life's strange ironies, at the same time as the Bush
administration is planning to spend a lot of money getting US television
signals into Cuba, an American company has just made a technical change
that has blacked out US programmes from Cuban TV screens.
California-based Satellite broadcaster DirecTV recently changed its
encryption system to avoid piracy, principally in the US. But DirecTV
programmes were also being received in Cuba using pirate cards, and
those will no longer work.

Hans de Salas, research associate at the University of Miami's Institute
for Cuban and Cuban-American studies, called it "an unexpected gift for
the Castro government." But DirecTV had no choice, said Robert G Mercer,
its public relations director. "While we understand they have a
different motivation than the individuals who are stealing our signal in
the US, they are still receiving our programming without our
authorization and in a part of the world where we do not have a license
to operate," he said. "We have an obligation to our legitimate customers
and programming partners to target and take off-line anyone who is using
an illegally modified access card."

Anecdotal reports speak of about 10,000 satellite television dishes in
Cuba, according to Joe O'Connell, spokesman for the US government's
International Broadcasting Bureau.

--
Elvira Claßen / Medienwissenschaftlerin (Dipl.-Soz.wiss.) & Freie
Journalistin (dju)