[infowar.de] Japanese IT businesses turn to Gods to ward off viruses, hackers

Mal wieder etwas für die Rubrik "Kann man immer mal für einen Scherz in
einem Vortrag gebrauchen". :-)
RB

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/technologynews/view/65162/1/.html

TOKYO: The new year in Japan is a time for fresh starts and spiritual
cleansing for not only the residents of Tokyo, but also their
computers.

At the Kanda Myojin shrine in downtown Tokyo, IT businesses and the
nearby electronic shops association of Akihabara have gathered to
purify their computers and protect them from common electronic evils.

For most, that meant warding off computer viruses and hackers.

"I work in software development and we faced many threats such as
computer viruses and hackers, and if our computers breakdown we can't
work anymore. So that is why it's important to me to pray for a year
of safe business," said 30-year old Katsutoshi Honma whose computer
was blessed according to the ancient Shinto traditions.

He, like many others, feel even the best anti-viral software and
security measures are not enough to beat what has quickly become the
bane of life with a computer, after an e-mail spam.

Japan, like many other industrialised nations, was hit badly by a
plethora of viruses in 2003 such as the Slammer and Blaster viruses.

And according to the Japanese National Police Agency, the nation's
computer network sees an average of 35,000 cyber attacks (including
virus and hackers) a month.

For many computer users and sellers, it's matter of good business to
safeguard themselves in any way possible.

"We've organised these ceremonies here at the Kanda Myojin to bless
for one year those computers and those who do business with
computers," said Yumi Yamaga, who represented the electronic retail
shop owners of Akihabara.

In that very district, they also organised the distribution of good
luck charms in the hope that consumers would feel comfortable buying
one or two laptops. - CNA